From 26 April to 4 May 2019 the Arafura Games will unite over 1,500 local, national and international athletes across 16 sports. Volunteers are vital and we are seeking your help to ensure the 2019 Arafura Games are the most successful Games yet. Click the blue REGISTER button to get started on this unforgettable journey. #AG2019
Games Services Volunteers provide essential services to ensure the needs of Arafura Games participants are met. Roles include airport welcome, hospitality, information booths and team liaisons.
Sport Competition Volunteers provide operational support to sport. Roles include medal ceremonies, sport presentation, results and competitor services.
Games Operations Volunteers deliver operational support to ensure the smooth running of the Arafura Games. Roles include accreditation, technology, logistics and transport.
Sport Medicine Volunteers are certified practitioners that work to provide medical care for sport participants at venues. Roles include sport medicine doctors, physio therapists, nurses and trainers.
Media & Communications Volunteers assist in delivering communications and media services to support various client groups. Roles include communications, media operations and public relations.
Who is Eligible?
There are a few important considerations in order to be eligible to volunteer for the 2019 Arafura Games:
- Aged 16 (Parental permission will be required) or over at point of application
- Available between 26 April - 4 May 2019
- Hold a valid Ochre Card as of April / May 2019 (Working with Children Check). The current cost for an Ochre Card is $7. If selected as a volunteer more information about this fee and process will be provided by the Organising Committee.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Arafura Games was introduced in 1995 as a biennial multi-sport event and ran until 2011. It is returning in 2019 and will be held over 9 days from 26 April to 4 May. The Arafura Games will showcase the uniqueness of The Territory and will foster friendship, goodwill and understanding between competing nations. There are 16 sports on the program in 2019 and can be found on the Games website - /sports/
Opening Celebration: 26 April 2019
Competition Dates: 27 April – 4 May 2019
Closing Celebration: 4 May 2019
- You will gain experience working at an international multi-sport event
- You will gain new skills and experience in your area of volunteer work
- You will be able to use the public bus network free of charge in order to get to your Games Venue – accreditation pass must be visible
- You will be issued with a 2019 Arafura Games uniform
- You will be an ambassador for the Arafura Games, Northern Territory and Australia
- You will meet inspirational people – athletes, coaches, technical officials, event staff and other passionate volunteers!
- You will make new friendships that will last a lifetime
The 2019 Arafura Games Organising Committee is looking for approximately 1,000 volunteers to join our team.
If you are selected as a volunteer, you will be provided with instructions by the Organising Committee in order to complete the process and join the team.
You can follow us on social media. Facebook / Twitter / Instagram @arafuragames19 | #AG0219 #BoundlessPossible and check out our website for updates /
- You will be required to officially register online in order for the Organising Committee to confirm you agree with volunteer Terms and Conditions
- Please record all personal details and previous experience in your application
- The Organising Committee will gather the data and screen all applicants to begin allocating roles, placing an importance on availability
The Organising Committee will be guided by experience, location and availability as they will be selecting volunteers to perform a variety of roles, in some cases across multiple venues and sports.
There will be a further round of screening for sport specific volunteers and those roles that require a specialist skill set, for example, medical or information team leaders who speak multiple languages.
Please contact your relevant sporting organisation in regards to becoming a sport specific volunteer.
You will receive a letter of offer once you have been selected for a role. You will be required to accept this offer and the Organising Committee will then provide more information regarding next steps and training opportunities.
- Available between 26 April - 4 May 2019. There are a few roles that will require availability before and after these dates – please let us know if you are available longer than the dates above.
- Able to attend a training session prior to the Games commencing – date TBC
- Able to pick up your uniform and accreditation prior to Games commencing – date TBC
- Hold a valid Ochre Card as at April/May 2019 (Working with Children Check)
Yes! Please record as much information as you can when submitting your availability to ensure the Organising Committee can allocate you a suitable role.
You will be asked to complete at least six shifts across the Games period.
Yes! All venues and sports are accessible therefore please record as much information about your requirements when submitting your application to ensure the Organising Committee can allocate you a suitable role.
No – all expenses in arriving and staying in Darwin are at the expense of the volunteer.
It is the responsibility of the volunteer to obtain a VISA or working permit in order to be available to volunteer for the Games. This information will need to be recorded in your application. Please visit the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection website to review the most appropriate criteria and visa for your nationality - http://www.visabureau.com/australia/dibp.aspx