The Northern Territory Government is bringing back the Arafura Games to leverage the cultural, economic and social benefits of an international sporting event.
An Arafura Games Steering Committee has been appointed and is charged with determining the philosophy and guiding principles that will facilitate the return of the Arafura Games.
The Arafura Games Steering Committee consulted with Territorians in February and March 2017 to gather feedback from stakeholders and the community. Consultation was undertaken in a number of formats including consultation hearings, written submissions and an online survey.
Arafura Games Steering Committee
The Northern Territory Government is committed to keeping you informed, listening to and acknowledging your concerns and aspirations, and providing feedback on how your input influenced the decisions. Initial consultation coordinated by the Arafura Games Steering Committee will produce a philosophy and guiding principles that the Arafura Games Organising Committee can use to plan, develop and execute the Arafura Games.
The Arafura Games Steering Committee is chaired by Mrs Kate Worden MLA, the Assistant Minister for Bringing Back the Arafura Games and Multicultural Affairs. The scope of the Steering Committee is to determine the philosophy and guiding principles that will facilitate the re-establishment of the Games.
The Steering Committee is governed by a Terms of Reference.
- Assistant Minister for Bringing Back the Arafura Games
- Lord Mayor, City of Darwin
- Chief Executive Officer, Northern Territory Chamber of Commerce
- A community representative
- Executive Director Office of Asian Engagement, Trade and Investment – Department of Trade, Business and Innovation
- Executive Director Sport and Recreation – Department of Tourism and Culture
- Executive Director Arts and Museums – Department of Tourism and Culture
- Executive Director Tourism NT – Department of Tourism and Culture
- General Manager, NT Major Events Company