Transport and Accommodation
An accredited shuttle bus will provide a pick up and drop off service from Darwin Central Business District (CBD) to sport competition venues. We encourage athletes and team officials to either stay within walking distance of their competition venue or within the Darwin CBD in order to access the accredited shuttle bus service. There will be no bookable transport system.
Darwin Convention Centre / Darwin Waterfront Sports
Badminton, Boxing, Muaythai, Sepak Takraw and Weightlifting are all taking place at the Darwin Convention Centre and Beach Volleyball and Dragon Boating will take place at the Darwin Waterfront in the Darwin CBD. We encourage athletes and teams to book accommodation within the CBD and where possible within what you consider acceptable walking distance.
Marrara Sports Complex
Athletics, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Netball, Table Tennis, Tennis and Indoor Volleyball are all taking place at competition venues within the Marrara Sporting Complex which is approximately a 15 minute drive from Darwin CBD. In order to access the accredited shuttle bus service to these competition venues you will need to get to the Darwin CBD.
If you wish to stay in the wider Darwin Region you will need to organise your private transport to utilise the public transport network to get to the Darwin CBD or competition venue. The public network is free of charge with your accreditation however it may not drop off / pick up directly near the competition venue.
Swimming and Sailing
The Swimming competition will take place in the suburb of Parap and Sailing will take place in neighbouring suburb Fannie Bay. An accredited shuttle bus service will take athletes and team officials from the Darwin CBD to these competition venues however accommodation options are available within walking distance. We encourage athletes and team officials to stay in these suburbs within walking distance to their competition or within the Darwin CBD to access the accredited shuttle.
To view Darwin accommodation please visit on the Tourism Top End and where it is says 'location' please click Darwin CBD or Darwin Region.
We recommend you use Google Maps to view walking and driving distances from your sport venue to preferred accommodation. Addresses and maps of the venues are available on the sports specific pages of the Arafura Games website.
If you have any accommodation question we are more than happy to help.
Please email us at AGGamesServices@nt.gov.au or call us on +61 8 8999 5237.
Frequently Asked Questions
- A free accredited shuttle bus service will be offered with dedicated stops at all competition venues as well as specific activation/hub sites.
- The free shuttle bus service will operate on a regular frequency – timings to be advised.
- Accredited persons will be able to access the Darwin Public Bus network for free by visibly wearing their accreditation.
- There will be an airport shuttle provided for arrivals and departures.
- Please refer to the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website to determine the most appropriate visa and eligibility criteria for your nationality.
- Getting an appropriate visa is the responsibility of the individual. Games Organisers will provide support during the visa application process.
- Meals or dedicated catering won’t be provided to athletes or team officials unless otherwise stated.
- Food and drinks will be available to purchase at all competition venues.
- Water for athletes will be provided at all competition venues.
- Per diems will not be given to participating countries or Team Managers/Chef de Misson.
- All flights will be at the expense and organisation of the participating nation.
- Each nation is encouraged to book travel as far in advance as possible.
- There will be support provided at the Airport to welcome you and assist with transport questions, event information.
- Technical Officials will be managed by the NT State Sporting Organisations with contact details for the NT Sport Manager available on each sport specific page of the Arafura Games website.
- International Federation rules and regulations apply to the Arafura Games. Skilled Technical Officials have been sourced to ensure competition is fair and delivered to expected.
- There are no entry fees to compete in the Arafura Games (with a minor exception for Australian Weightlifters). Sailing competitors will be required to pay a refundable bond for use of a boat.
- We ask all countries to submit their registration to participate as soon as possible as some sports have limited entries.
- Register Now
- Your registration won’t be confirmed until a member of the Organising Committee or NT Sport Manager has responded with a confirmation.
- Athletes and team officials will be requested to represent their country at both the Opening and Closing celebrations.
- All athletes and team officials will receive accreditation that will allow venue access and free public transport. Accreditations will be accepted on the basis that all athletes qualify under their sport specific rules and regulations. Accreditation must be visibly worn to access Games.
- The Organising Committee will produce a Chef de Misson Handbook which will be available on the Arafura Games website in March 2019. It will contain sport specific and operational information along with things to do in Darwin and the wider NT. This will be in a downloadable format and available online. In between now and then this event information page will be regularly updated.